A little over a month ago I stumbled across this great tag while I was reading through some blogs. I don’t usually do tags (because I’m too lazy to answer all of the questions), but this one is too good to pass up. Let’s spread the positivity! I was tagged by Upbeat Uplifts and I tag anyone who reads this and wants to participate!
1. What does self-love mean to you?
Self-love to me is the ability to be comfortable in my own head. It when a person is able to accept themselves for all that they are, strengths and flaws, and be happy with that.
2. What is your favorite way to pamper yourself?
SHOPPING. I feel good so I want to look good, too! I also like to take nights off from the rest of the world and just curl up in bed with my laptop and watch Netflix or YouTube videos. I go all out. I lock my door and cut the lights to be sure no one will bother me!
3. What are your three favorite hobbies/pastimes that make your soul feel on fire?
1) Working on LoiteringLion! I can’t explain how working on my website makes me feel. It’s amazing! Being able to express my creativity is the best and it’s even better because I’m not the only one who can enjoy all of my work. Sharing my content is half the fun!
2) Chatting with others. Is that a hobby?? Because it should be! I’ve become a full fledged talkaholic. Ask some of my pals! I don’t know how they can deal with me sometimes because I can go on and on about anything and everything. FOR HOURS. I enjoy talking to people because it’s great to connect with others and I always have a blast cracking a ton of jokes. I say some crazy shit sometimes I’m going to be honest.
3) Adventuring! I wander around ALL OF THE TIME. I will come up with any excuse to run around town. Whether I’m hitching a ride with a friend or frolicking about on foot, I can’t stay in the same place for very long. Sometimes people think I’m odd for not having a driver’s license but really it’s for the best. If I could drive no one would EVER be able to find me!
4. What movie always puts you in a good mode when you’re not in the greatest mood?
The Katy Perry Movie. Oh. My. God. I LOVE Katy Perry and her movie never fails to 1) make me cry and 2) fill me with inspiration. I love success stories and Perry’s really gets to me. Plus she is so ADORABLE! And the catchy pop songs! The dance numbers! The glittery costumes! You really can’t go wrong.
5. Who do you trust so much that you would easily believe in anything and everything they said?
My sister, Mimi. We’ve always been super close and still are. I can’t really explain the friendship we share because it’s pretty deep! I would do anything for her, though!
6. What quote totally motivates you?
I don’t know any quotes off of the top of my head but I do like little sayings about working hard, following your dreams, etc. I suppose if I had to pick one I’d pick this quote on this little canvas I have in my room:
7. When was the last time you took yourself on a date? What did you do?
I don’t remember the last time I went out on a date with myself but I do spend a lot of quality time with me, myself, and I. I prefer to get all snuggled up in my room with a pint of ice cream, comfy loungewear, and my cute little laptop for a movie night. I isolate myself from everyone I know on nights like this so I can let my mind roam freely without interruption. I also write in my diary a lot during these occasions. So relaxing!
8. What make-up or beauty products makes you feel like a million bucks?
A fresh new hair color and/or cut! My favorite hair dye brands are Manic Panic for temporary colors or Garnier Olia for permanent. I’m obsessed with my hair and there is nothing I love more in the world than mixing up my look.
9. What is the last thing you did for someone else that made you feel amazing?
I put together a little gift bag for one of my gal pals last week. There wasn’t a particular occasion, I just felt like picking up a few things I knew she would like. She’s always super giving and sweet to her friends and I don’t think she gets nearly enough recognition, or reciprocation, for it.
10. Do you feel comfortable with and without make-up on?
I DO. I don’t know if anyone has noticed but I’ve posted SEVERAL videos in the past on my website with me without makeup. Also, me with poor lighting. Me with a poor camera angle. Me with questionable hair. I refuse to take down any of those videos, either! Sometimes I look a mess. It is what it is.
11. What piece of advice would you give a child about to grow up with the pressures of today’s media and its crushing expectations?
Don’t bother comparing yourself to the people in the magazines or on TV because none of it’s real. These people have professionals doing their hair and makeup with Photoshop thrown in on top. Most importantly, stop wasting your energy wishing you were someone else. You never will be so focus on accepting who you are instead.
12. What song puts you in a good mood every time?
Many, many songs. So many. Oh, so many.
Overall, though, I’d have to say anything from Marina & The Diamonds’ Electra Heart era. I love her and her music and her lyrics and everything. As far as self-love goes, I’d say specifically her song Primadonna. It makes me feel super confident and it reminds me that there is nothing wrong with a girl who loves herself. I’m not vain! I’m confident!
13. What is the best advice someone gave you or you realized about life?
The best advice I have ever received is “If everyone likes you then something is wrong”. I was told that when I was about ten years old and the words still stick with me. This advice helped me realize that what other people think of me doesn’t matter. Not everyone is going to like me and that is perfectly OK. Not only that but it’s NORMAL. Personally, I don’t even WANT everyone to like me so I’m going to go ahead and continue doing what I want.
14. Who makes you giggle like a giggle monster?
This may seem like an odd response but…MYSELF. I keep cracking witty jokes in my head! People probably think I have some Joker shit going on over here. I don’t think a single day goes by when I don’t laugh at myself. Even when I embarrass myself I’m able to laugh it off. I don’t worry about laughing too much for seemingly no reason, though, because it probably just looks like I smile a lot which is never a bad look.
15. What is something about society that bugs you that you wish didn’t?
The whole anti-women thing really pisses me off. I don’t wish I didn’t feel this way, I wish everyone would stop being sexist assholes.
16. What is one of your favorite things to do on the weekends?
Wander into different cities with my friends. I love to see new places, even if they are little hokey-poke towns in the middle of nowhere. Plus, I love car rides.
17. What is something you’re really proud of that you’ve done?
I’m so proud that I’ve been consistently keeping up with Loitering Lion for over A YEAR! Growing up, I always had a head full of brilliant ideas but I never stuck with any of them. Loitering Lion was one of these ideas, actually! I started Loitering Lion when I was 16 but dropped it after about 6 months of spotty posts. I was on to something but I wasn’t ready to get it in motion yet. It wasn’t until I was 18 when my dad asked me if I still wanted the domain name. I told him I didn’t because the website was an ugly mess but my dad said “So what? Fix it!”. Spring Break 2K13 I spent the whole week indoors cleaning up Loitering Lion and working on my first post in two years. Now look at me! I’m still here doin’ my thang!
18. What is one of your favorite memories with one of your friends?
When I was 16 I was eating lunch with my crew and there was a piece of paper haphazardly taped to the table. Everyone was talking at the same time so it was hard to tell what exactly was going on, but one gal started to jokingly yanking on another girl’s finger from across the table. I had just started to tell homegirl to stop when I hear a loud ripping noise. The blood in my veins when ice cold for a solid two seconds until I realized the ripping was the sound of that piece of paper being torn, NOT my friend’s finger being ripped off! Geez! I thought I was going to have to call the hospital! Everyone was laughing at my little scare for the rest of the day.
19. What advice would you give someone who needs a boost in confidence?
If you don’t like something in your life, CHANGE IT. Make a new friend, dye your hair a new color, get a new hobby…the possibilities are endless. Don’t be afraid to mix things up!
20. Lastly, how do you plan on investing in self-love?
At this point in my life I have a very healthy self-esteem so I’m trying to invest in self-love by taking better care of my body. I’ve been exercising more and I’ve been trying to incorporate more nutritious foods into my diet. But, hey! At least I take my vitamins!